Search Past Articles
Explore Past Articles
Haz Mat "Specialist Course"
« Bicycles | Main | Patination »

Incident Action Plan

As you can see below posted, the Winter semester Madonna University 2012 Haz-Mat scenario went exceedingly well. The students filed the final IAP (Incident Action Plan) in a AAR (After Action Report) which would be equivalent to the responders final incident report after mitigation.

One of the best aspects of their scenario was the call of prioritization before mitigation in the 11th hour before tactical objectives began for the operations division. Here the students made the call to mitigate the greatest hazard to their personnel rather than the chemicals involved. This had to do with the weather situation in this particular response.

Rather than driving towards the separation of the greatest reactive chemicals first, they chose to mitigate the water reactive chemicals first as rain was approaching their scene this evening. This was a "gutsy" call, but a smart one! Sometimes, environmental factors present a greater threat than the incident scene itself. This demonstrates the ability of your team to view the "big picture" rather than remain with limited goals always on the horizon. I am very proud of them, I think you will be too as you progress throught this years AAR,

                                                      Haz Mat Mike

Madonna University

Hazmat Team Clinton Township, MI

Clandestine Drug Lab After-Action Report

On April 10, 2012, at approximately 1900 hours, a call came in from the Macomb Community College East Campus located at 21901 Dunham Road, Clinton Township, MI 48036, that there was an a unknown amount of unknown bottles scattered about the grounds at the West side of the building.

April 10, 2012

1900 – Above Response called Received    

The Madonna University Hazmat Team responded and arrived on the scene at 1906 hours came across an unknown amount of bottles located on a grassy area at the West end of the building with a white truck next to the scene.  The on-scene police officer gave information that the truck belongs to an individual and he wanted to move it.  At the current time, the vehicle was to be left in its current location until future notice.

1906 – MUHT Arrival on scene

1907 – Per IC perpetrators vehicle remains on-site to be assessed 

At 1910 hours the incident commander had two members of the team members to do a remote initial recon of the area to see if they could get a count of the amount of bottles on the scene and their colors in the grassy area.  At 1912 hours the recon gave a count of approximately 30 bottles of different shapes and colors.  The incident commander told the group to stay on stand by while he and the operations chief meet to discuses possible solutions.

1910 – Remote reconnaissance (visual)

1912 - 30 packages discovered, visual team remains in place

At 1935 hours the incident commander and the operations chief established the hot, warm and cold zones.  The hot zones was established at approximately 100 yards from dump site, the warm zones was established 100 yards from the hot zone and the cold zone was established 100 yards from the warm zone.  The staging area and incident commanded center were placed in a classroom within view of the hot zone.

1935 – Visual recalled for manpower

1935 - Operations and work zones established

1935 – ICP and staging established inside classroom/host facility

At 1940 hours the operations chief and incident commander briefed the team as to where the zones were established and what the plan of action was.  Additionally, it was determined that the response team would be in level “B” and the decon team in level “C” CPC.

1940 – Entry Team briefing / work zones / Level “B” CPC issues for this incident

At 1941 hours the Decon team began to establish the decontamination line.  At this time, two team members set up the generator and lights to illuminate the area.  At 1950 hours the lights and decon line were in place.

1941 – Decon and lighting initiated

1950 – Above units accomplished

At 1952 hours Entry Team I was briefed on what they would be doing while in the hot zone.  They were to recon the area and get instrument readings.  At 1955 hours entry team entered the hot zone.

1952 - Entry Team 1 (ET1) activity briefing for incident

1955 - ET1 on- air 

At 1956 hours Entry Team I reported that there were 16 containers that had a yellow colored liquid in them.   At 1957 hours Entry Team I reported that there were 15 containers that have a green colored liquid in them.  At 1958 hours Entry Team I reported that there were 17 containers that had a red colored liquid in them.  At 2000 hours Entry Team I reported that there were 27 antifreeze shaped bottles.  At 2004 hours Entry Team One reported that there was one bottle of bleach.  At 2009 hours Entry Team I reported that there were 15 blue bottles.  At 2012 hours Entry Team I came in through the decontamination line and sat with the rest of the team on stand by.

1956 – 16 yellow containers

1957 – 15 green containers

1958 – 17 red containers

2000 – 27 anti-freeze containers

2004 – 1 bleach bottle

2009 – 15 blue containers

2012 – ET1 exits Hot Zone / off-air

At 2013 hours the incident commander gave the instrument readings to the science officer.  At 2025 hours the science officer reported that the instrument readings showed there is gas, nitric acid, iodine pentafluoride, and ammonia located in the bottles.  He recommended to the incident commander that the iodine pentafluoride be removed first followed by the nitric acid because both of these chemicals are water reactive and the weather forecast showed rain was coming.  He then recommended that the gas be moved next followed by the ammonia.  The incident commander agreed with him.

2013 – Direct-reading instrumentation results forwarded to IC/Research

2025 - Results determined, Flammable, Nitric Acid, iodine pentaflouride, anhydrous ammonia.

At 2032 hours the operations chief briefed the team as to what chemicals were located in the hot zones and how they were to be removed.  He told the team that two teams were going to enter.  One team would enter to put the iodine pentaflouride and nitric acid in over pack drums then they would exit the hot zone.  The second team would enter and put the gas and ammonia in over pack drums then exit the hot zone.  A total of 4 drums would be utilized to separate/isolate all incompatible chemicals.

2032 – IAP Prioritized / (ET2) & (ET3) briefing 

At 2037 hours Hazmat Team II enters the hot zone.  Hazmat Team II reported that they had isolated the iodine pentaflouride at 2038 hours.  Hazmat Team II reported that they isolated the nitric acid at 2041 hours.  At 2042 hours Hazmat Team II leaves the hot zone and goes through the decon line and Hazmat Team III prepared to enter the hot zone.

2037 – ET2 on air

2038 – isolation/separation

2041 – isolation/separation

2042 – ET2 off air

At 2046 hours Hazmat Team III enters the hot zone.  Hazmat Team III reported that they isolated the gas at 2049 hours.  Hazmat Team III reported that they isolated the ammonia at 2052 hours.  At 2053 hours Hazmat Team II leaves the hot zone and goes through the decon line. 

2046 – ET3 on air

2049 – isolation/separation

2052 – isolation/separation

2053 – ET3 off air

2055 – IC Incident Termination

2056 – Site turned over to RP with environmental remediation suggestions

At 2055 the incident commander declared that all of the chemicals had been isolated and ended the incident.

A hot wash of the incident was set for a latter date. 


Timothy Spence, Science Officer                   

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.
Editor Permission Required
You must have editing permission for this entry in order to post comments.